[Foundation-l] Membership fees proposal

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 24 15:16:57 UTC 2004

The proposal is available at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Membership_fees.

This proposal was set based on discussions with many editors, on meta,
on irc, by email. Though it is probably not perfect, I believe it is a
fair proposal trying to take into consideration all comments made.

I tried at the same time to propose something

* which keeps in mind that membership is meant to collect money. It is
important because it is the safest and strongest and least controversial
method of financing

* which is fairly simple

* which takes into account the existing community and recognition of its
diversity (allowing to join less wealthy good contributors for a rather
low amount)

* which allow people to indicate what they would prefer the money to be
used for

* which will set relationships between local chapter and foundation.

I would like to remind editors that whether they give money or not, they
are members of the Foundation. Contributing to articles, organisation,
software, maintenance etc... is a great way to help. Giving money is
another. If people can do both, fine. But you will still be important to
us if you do not give money. Only provide what you feel like providing,
time/energy or money, only time/energy, only money. You will be welcome
in any cases.

I'll add to this, that members joining local chapters, will be
contributing members to the foundation as well, provided that there is
an agreement between the local chapter and the Foundation. Next step is
to see how we can legally and technically do this :-) I have a proposal,
which I shall explain tomorrow to current and future chapters.

For now, I would like you to read this membership fee proposal, and
explain it to non english people please, as all languages will be
concerned. I tried to be rather descriptive, to avoid misunderstandings.
But I guess the proposal might be summarized in just a few lines.

Thanks for your attention :-)

Florence