[Foundation-l] Server donation

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Jul 21 18:51:57 UTC 2004

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> Didn't we get a whole bunch of offers to mirror our content? I think
> this would be a golden opportunity to set up European squids. That
> should help reduce load on the Wikimedia server farm and shave some
> time off at least anon reads from Europe. But if the plan is to gut
> these machines for parts, then I can understand the need to ship
> them to Florida.

:-)  You're a few days behind in the discussion.

We've decided to keep 3 machines in France to use as squids, and free
hosting has been arranged.

We are accepting one server which looks to be quite useful in our
existing cluster, and it will be shipped to Florida.  We are currently
seeking the most economical way to do that.

--Jimbo