[Foundation-l] HP Hardware donation

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 08:15:03 UTC 2004

Though it is not entirely fixed, here are some news of a hardware donation made to Wikimedia Foundation

-------------

An employee at HP in France has contacted us, offering us free hardware.

This is a no-strings-attached donation from a few friends at HP who want to support Wikipedia. They reserve the right to mention this donation.

The machines offered are:* One 4U 6 CPU Xeon 750 with 1GB of RAM* One 4 CPU Xeon 700 with 2GB of RAM* One 6U 8 CPU Xeon 900 with 16GB of RAM and 2 SCSI drive max (which might work as a web server box immediately)* 3 Celeron 600 1U with 20G/ide and 128M of memory.

There were a lot of discussion on irc these days about these servers
and many people got involved to determine what would be best doing.

First we decided to accept the offer :-) The 6 servers will be picked up 2 french contributors, Med and Cereal Killer on thursday.
There will be a small shipping cost from Grenoble (the city where the servers come from) to Paris, which will be taken by the WMF.

Med will install the Celerons. They will have a memory upgrade (the WMF will pay for this).

Yann has found us a hosting company ready to host the three squids for free, http://lost-oasis.fr/ :-)

The three bigger servers will be shipped from Paris to Florida. We are currently trying to find cheap shipping cost.
Any help/suggestion for *cheap* shipping is most welcome. We'd prefer a company with good credentials,
but there is no requirement in terms of shipping speed, so we might be able to find a good price.
Please, help us if you know a good shipping solution.