[Foundation-l] Re: Rethinking Meta (was- Wikiquote now has subdomains)

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Jul 20 02:13:00 UTC 2004

Anthere-

> Right management do not exist, but I think they could be very useful here.

Wrong. See $wgWhitelistEdit, $wgWhitelistRead and $wgWhitelistAccount in
includes/DefaultSettings.php of the current MediaWiki code. I currently
run one MediaWiki which uses a whitelist for certain pages.

> But if you want to write a paper or essay on a subject related to
> Wikipedia, and do not want it to be edited into CPOV form, then you
> should have the courage and conviction to stand for it with your real
> name. Alternatively, put it on your user page. -Eloquence 13:28, 29 Apr
> 2004 (UTC)

> Given the number of editors who accept to edit under their real name,
> and given the risks associated with using our real name on the net,
> ***requesting*** from people to sign their comments and participation
> with their real name in order to have those allowed in the main space is
> just something bad.

You still don't get what I wrote. You are free to include your opinion in
a regular CPOV article, e.g. "Some community members feel that .." You're
free to comment on talk pages in any matter you want. But if you want to
write an essay like

 "Why Wikipedia is doomed"

.. *with no counterpoints allowed*, then you should sign it. That is
completely different from your representation of my opinion, and I would
appreciate it if you could stop distorting my proposal. There are two
reasons for requiring this type of page to be signed: 1) reduce trolling,
2) make it clear that the article in question is not official Wikimedia
policy.

> We are allowed to write fabulous article under ip, why would not we be
> allowed to write what we think of Wikipedia under the same procedure ?

We are not allowed to write what we think of the latest Hollywood movie on
Wikipedia. We are only allowed to do it as NPOV (film critic Roger Ebert
said ..). The CPOV proposal *extends* this by allowing 1) community member
opinions, i.e. what would be called "original research" or "idiosyncratic"
on Wikipedia 2) signed personal essays. Most pages on Meta meet the CPOV
requirements *already*.

> I say, if we request from editors on meta to sign their participation
> with their real name, then we'll cause dramatic drop down in collaboration.

Again, stop misrepresenting the actual proposal.

Regards,

Erik