[Foundation-l] Re: Rethinking Meta (was- Wikiquote now has subdomains)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 19 08:04:17 UTC 2004

--- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
> ... which was woefully incomplete. I am completely in favor of properly
> internationalizing MediaWiki and putting a bounty on the implementation.
> However, such an implementation should be generic, i.e. it should allow us
> to migrate Wikipedia itself into that system. This requires some way to
> deal with namespace conflicts - e.g. wikimedia.org/en/Merchandising vs.
> wikimedia.org/de/Merchandising (the current Merchandising page on Meta is
> actually German), and we would have to set up automatic redirects for
> subdomain access. Given that, setting subdomains up now while we don't
> have this advanced code will put us well on the road to a nice general
> solution for all Wikimedia projects once we have it.

If there is a problem with naming conflicts, then that is a very good reason to
have separate wikis. That problem does not really exist for meta, wikisource,
and wikibooks. In short, I think we should only divide things up if there is a
compelling reason. Meta in *particular* is there for multiproject and
multilingual coordination. How is that coordination going to happen on separate
wikis?

Sorry, I will not support balkanization of Meta. We should work on improving
the interface situation instead.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)