[Foundation-l] Re: Rethinking Meta (was- Wikiquote now has subdomains)

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Mon Jul 19 05:55:00 UTC 2004

Anthere-

> The reason of wikimediafoundation site is to present a unified front to
> outside. It should be clean, with no dispute, and it should be
> consistent with the Foundation frame of mind. It should also contain a
> whole bunch of data, which should not be modified too easily by anyone
> (like financial issues).

This can be done using rights management and page approval. Having a
combined wiki helps in collaborating as a community on matters such as
press releases and general news.

> Now, I remember very well your CPOV proposition, which aimed at strongly
> limiting access to meta, by requesting that people identify themselves
> by real names to have the right for their edits to be claimed
> trustworthy, when the edits of non real people were labelled "untrusted
> or non representative of a so-called community point of view" by default.

Wow. This is a gross misrepresentation of what I said. I am frankly
flabbergasted. See:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Community_point_of_view

In the *discussion* I suggested that *personal essays which deviate from
the CPOV* (such as our favorite troll pages) should be signed, and that
unsigned pages could be refactored or removed. This was a compromise
proposal towards you to not have to completely exclude such pages. Next
time you "remember something very well", you may want to look it up first.

> This CPOV proposition will have to happen over my dead body :-)

Fortunately, Wikimedia is democratically governed.

Regards,

Erik