[Foundation-l] How could information flow ?

Jerome Jamnicky jeronimwp at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jul 18 08:02:05 UTC 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 06:37, Tomos at Wikipedia wrote:
> Just some observations and remarks on this issue.
>
> I think it was not a mistake that every project got the fundraising notice.
>
> I was on an IRC channel when there was a discussion of some project being
> upset, and therefore blanking the message or not translating it. One person
> asked if the messages could be turned off for some projects. A few
> developers expressed that those projects should come up with alternative
> fundraising plans that cover their portion of expected funding need.
> Nothing was turned off. There followed a discussion of putting different
> traffic priorities to different projects. (But I am not sure if they were
> really serious about this.)

The idea about different traffic priorities was mine; the quotes are:

<jeronim`> 1. use delay pools in squid to lower service priority for wikis
which reject money-asking messsages

and later,

<jeronim`> could have a community-decided choice between no ads, opt-in, or
opt-out?
<jeronim`> and quality of service somehow determined based on ad revenue?

This was *just brainstorming*.  The idea was to increase choice by allowing
each wiki to make its own decision about the tradeoff of aesthetics
(advertising/donation requests or the lack of them) against speed (coming
from ad revenue/donations).

Maybe these are stupid ideas or maybe not, but I'd like to be able to
brainstorm on IRC without having to worry about doing damage control on the
mailing list as a result.

--Jerome/jeronim