[Foundation-l] How could information flow ?

Tomos at Wikipedia wiki_tomos at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 17 20:37:33 UTC 2004

Just some observations and remarks on this issue.

I think it was not a mistake that every project got the fundraising notice.

I was on an IRC channel when there was a discussion of some project being
upset, and therefore blanking the message or not translating it. One person
asked if the messages could be turned off for some projects. A few
developers expressed that those projects should come up with alternative
fundraising plans that cover their portion of expected funding need. Nothing
was turned off. There followed a discussion of putting different traffic
priorities to different projects. (But I am not sure if they were really
serious about this.)

I have to say I was quite disappointed about the lack of mutual trust. I
think the developers thought those projects do not care about our financial
needs and only be annoyed by the message. I think those projects reacted
negatively because the project members thought the placing of the notice was
top-down, English-centric practice.

I have to say that both sides might be right, which is even more
disappointing than the mutual distrust…

I saw Sj talking with the developers, suggesting some sensible solutions,
visiting many Wikipedias and talk to others, and after all, things changed
rather easily. Developers did understand how things could work out better,
and came up with a better technical solution very quick. Some projects did
respond to Sj’s call and translate the message into their languages. So,
after all, we are not so disappointing, I found.

Tomos