[Foundation-l] Re: NEH Grant résumés

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 12 06:24:08 UTC 2004

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:

>     If the author of this email is not willing to even identify
>     themselves
>     to us, I don't see why any of us would want to send them a résumé.
>     Also,
>     I can't understand why résumés from bureaucrats would be requested in
>     this context.
>
> Hi
>
> The author of this email is a relatively new volunteer to Wikipedia,
> who has taken on the responsibility of coordinating the CVs. The idea
> is to send CVs of staff, i.e., of committed volunteers with some
> credentials. This would include the board and developers, but also
> prominent users. If anyone is uncomfortable sending this information
> to him, you may forward it to me. It may now be too late, though I
> still hold out hope, however, it is something that other grants will
> want too. I can assure you that I will protect your privacy and
> foreward the grants directly to whomever is taking care of the
> particular grants in question.
>
> For the record, Alterego has told me that he is an American citizen
> living in Italy and that he is a journalist. From his impeccable
> English and his IP, I have no reason to doubt this, though I can
> understand people's reluctance to give personal information away so
> quickly.
>
> In the event that this information is needed for other grants, you
> will be asked again in each instance whether you mind having your name
> attached to the grant.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Danny

Relatively new is an understatement, given the contribution history. I'm
willing to suspend my suspicions about Alterego having ulterior motives
for collecting this information, but I still would recommend that anyone
who submits such information send it to Danny, not to
"reflection at gmail.com".

In general, as the Foundation acquires personal information about
various contributors that they haven't made publicly available on the
wiki, we need to be sure that information is kept separate and not
disclosed to anyone inappropriately.

--Michael Snow