[Foundation-l] Re: NEH grant

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 9 05:04:27 UTC 2004

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:

>I am just now getting back into the swing of things.  Are there
>people who may agree or disagree with SJ's opinions here.
>
>Keep in mind that I have not yet reviewed the proposed grant
>application, nor the requirements of the grant, etc.

While this particular grant does seem unrealistically ambitious to me at
this point, just working on it is good experience for us. I don't know
if we should actually submit this one, but I do expect we will
eventually submit other grant applications. If this is a practice run,
then it will help generate basic material for us to use again later.

I've briefly looked around to get an idea of the kinds of grants we
might apply for (i.e. the kind whose purpose is to foster knowledge and
education generally, rather than those with an agenda to promote some
particular kind of information). At least in the US, it generally seems
to be required for us to qualify as a 501(c)(3) organization. I don't
know much about grant-making organizations in other countries, they may
or may not have similar expectations. I suppose it's possible that some
places might accept an application with the assurance that we're in the
process of qualifying, but I think it would be best if we can get that
issue taken care of first.

--Michael Snow