[Foundation-l] Rewards

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 26 22:16:04 UTC 2004

Upon reading other people comments, I think that we
might have a dual solution for developers reward,
which could be at the same time
* just a thank you note
* a mean to help them get a job, or just more traffic
on a site they like
* potentially, some money

As suggested in meta, first we could set a page on the
wikimediafoundation website.

This page would be a list of all developers involved
in wikimedia technical matters (if they want to be
there *of course*).

Each developer name could be along with a short bio
(or link to a personal website), and description of
their most relevant activity in wikimedia as
developers (everyday hardware maintenance, bug
correction, mailing list handling, performance issues,
  software development, liaison with board etc...).

Each developer could put here a proeminant link for
donations (paypal system).

=> This would help for developers development
recognition (as many development activities are just
invisible to most editors), and give them opportunity
to advertise this for ousiders. They might also get
some donations from editors who appreciate their

Second, once a year, we could have a couple of special
awards for developers. I was thinking of for example :
* award for hardware maintenance or improvement
* award for software development
* special award to thank a special dedication to some
features recommanded by the board.

These awards could be heavily advertised and of
course, proeminently announced on the
wikimediafoundation website. They might also result in
a little gift (such as money or hardware for example).
Hardware gifts might be gifts offered to the
foundation by hardware corporations.

It might be nice that this is the opportunity to thank
people who put a lot of time in some activities, which
are not very visible.

What do you think ???