[Foundation-l] Proposal for Wiki Project

Steve Rapaport steve at rapaport.com
Thu Dec 30 16:09:56 UTC 2004

Good point but let's not talk about it just yet, since it would start a
long string of fruitless discussions on the possible nature and scope of
the catastrophe, which we can't possibly predict.   Who knows?

It's best I think to avoid that entirely and think it two timeframes:

1. Catastrophe survivors (0-20 years)
    They will need a good survival handbook, followed in the near term by
lots of "How does it work?" information, and these should be possible
to find even if there's no electricity or municipal authority.

Paper or books in sealed fireproof containers, that sort of thing.

2. Long-term (20-6000 years)
    Wikipedia on permanent media.  "How does it work" is important too.
Possible media include:
Acid-free paper in an appropriate climactic region (a la Dead Sea Scrolls),
   (but climate change may make this useless)
Engraved messages in hard, corrosion-resistant metal
Ceramic (A la Enki)

More suggestions welcome.

Steve