[Foundation-l] Proposal for Wiki Project

Steve Rapaport steve at rapaport.com
Thu Dec 30 15:01:47 UTC 2004

Hello all, I'm new to the list, but some of you know me from the .En wiki.

Greetings for the new year -- we're now halfway through the Uh-oh's
decade, and it seems to be living up to its name quite well.

Against the event of possible REALLY BIG uh-ohs, I would like to propose
a project for permanently archiving certain wikis:

*HowDoesItWorkWiki
*SpeciesWiki
*(Condensed) Wikipedia

By permanent, I am thinking something that could survive the movie "The
Day After Tomorrow", even if it struck worldwide and lasted over 100
years.  (I hear the movie lasted nearly that long!  :-)

The most effective method proven to last over a millenium is clay tablets
inside clay envelopes (Thanks, Enki of Sumeria) but there may be something
higher-tech today that would work just as well and be less
labor-intensive.

This type of idea is always obvious in retrospect.  Shall we think ahead?

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_new_projects#WikiCapsule

Steve