[Foundation-l] Wiki Translations of Greek/Roman/XYZ classics

Viktor Horvath duke586 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 21 17:36:57 UTC 2004

Ray Saintonge wrote:
>While I can appreciate the occasional need for several translation
>versions, I don"t think that it is a realistic prospect in the near future.
>Before there is a second translation of a work there needs to be a first
>one.

Yes. But you won't get one complete translation if you don't make clear
which type of translation it should contain, as after the first translated
pages, at least two parties will start argumenting. I think Robin's idea is
a very good one: One could start with a first translation and some explicit
policy, begging everyone who wants to follow a completely different approach
to start another one, which is linked by the main page. This way, "edition
management" is very possible.

What's missing? Two-pane design *for translating* can be achieved by having
two browser windows side by side. You only have to use the same original
text, for example by linking to the Perseus Project.  If you follow their
page numbers (or even set links to the individual Perseus pages into the
translation, if that's permitted), you can even *read* bilingual versions.
For footnotes, one can start by using the discussion page.

I agree, this way one can at least start and see where there is a real need
for software features. Now let's start a project and find some translators
:-)

Have a nice Christmas everybody,
Viktor.