[Foundation-l] Wiki Translations of Greek/Roman/XYZ classics

Robin Shannon robin.shannon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 03:17:32 UTC 2004

When this was first raised a while ago i thought it was a great idea,
however i think the approach suggested is just plain wrong. As it has
been pointed out, it is impossible to have the perfect translation of
Don Quijote de la Mancha or The Republic etc., equally it is far too
difficult and generaly unwiki to try and have multiple versions
together; which to me suggests the obvious solution that we need
several (completely seperate) different versions of each work. For
example we could have en.wikifoo.org/wiki/Don Quijote (literal),
en.wikifoo.org/wiki/Don Quijote (simple english) etc. etc. at the
begining of the translation there would be a page that outlines the
basic ideas to be followed in translating the work (ie. similar to the
translators note at the begining of most classics) and then that can
be used like the NPOV policy, as a basis for comprimise and
collaboration.

I would also suggest that until such a time as there is obvious
disagreements between those who are translating literaly, and those
who arent, there should only be one version (since it will make it
easier to write a literal, or poetic or whatever translation, if you
already have a rough translation to start with.)

I also think that this would be another place where my suggestion of a
reference tab (to go with the main article and talk tabs) for
foot/endnote would be of great use.

paz y amor,
[[User:The bellman]]

--
hit me: robin.shannon.id.au
jab me: saudade at jabber.zim.net.au

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons
Recombo Plus License. To view a copy of this license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling+/1.0/