[Foundation-l] e-gold proposal

Dori slowpoke at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 14:17:51 UTC 2004

> The bottom line, though is the insightful comment by Mav. It is true
> that simply adding e-gold with the intent of garnering donations from
> existing e-gold users wouldn't lead to much additional income for the
> Foundation any time soon. The only way it might ignite something
> phenomenal would be if combined with actual soft promotion, on the order
> of an endorsement and some explanation/interpretation. My theory is that
> many of the people who find the various Wiki resources compelling and
> valuable are the same type of people who are intrigued by the
> possibility of a privately issued alternative global currency. My guess,
> and I have no data to support this (since Mozilla and EFF barely expose
> their e-gold option, let alone help to explain it), is that some subset
> of them would be grateful to the foundation for bringing e-gold to their
> attention in a favorable light and would go out of their way to assure
> that the Foundation was the beneficiary of their incentive-related
> revenues, similar to affinity card programs.

The Foundation has yet to endorse anything commercial. If it did,
there are probably plenty of more lucrative deals out there, but it
would lose a lot of faith in its users. Sorry, but the measly
*profits* would not be worth the loss of the community IMO. Although
you're could expand/create the e-gold article as long as you keep it
NPOV and factual.

--
[[en:User:Dori]]