[Foundation-l] Wikinews Licensing

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 12 09:23:51 UTC 2004

--- user_Jamesday <user_Jamesday at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Copyleft effectively kills any chance of it entering the mainstream press.
> It'll be effectively impossible for any mainstream publication to use any of
> the stories if there's a requirement that their work be released under a
> license incompatible with all of their existing licenses.

Not so. The license will only affect whatever article they copy. If the
CC-by-sa is used, then all they need do is add an attribution line at the end
of the article and mention of the license. Extending the same rights to users
of their version as we have given to them is not asking much at all. Pretty
darn cheap price in fact.

More at:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikinews/License_straw_poll

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)