[Foundation-l] Wikinews Licensing

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Dec 8 18:01:44 UTC 2004

user_Jamesday wrote:
> Copyleft is only necessary when you want to limit the people who can
>use the work. That's the antipathy of the objective of Wikinews, which
>is to get the news published as widely as possible.

I don't disagree with much of what you said, but I wanted to add a
different perspective to what copyleft does.  In many cases it does
*not* limit the people who can use the work, but rather serves as an
easy way to persuade them to make their own work available under a
free license as well.

--Jimbo