[Foundation-l] Re: WMF as publisher as in GFDL

Ashar Voultoiz hashar at altern.org
Wed Dec 8 15:52:53 UTC 2004

Robin Shannon wrote:
<snip>
>>Wikimedia doesn't have any policy on this. The link back policy appears
>>to have destroyed our Google ranking, triggering spam heuristics. In
>>many cases we are ranked below the mirrors. This has forced Google to
>>consider a change to their ranking algorithm.
>

> what? sorry, why has the link back destroyed our ranking? isnt it that
> the more places that link to us the better our rating, and also what
> do you mean by spam heuristics? Why are we ranked below our mirrors?
>
> gah, im confused,
>
> paz y amor,
> rjs

hello,

Having hundred of website having hundred thousand of links poiting to
www.wikipedia.org somehow trigger a "rank spam" alert in google engine.

Then google lower our ranking believing we set mirrors to raise our rank
wich is link spamming. Our mirrors get less link back but are still used
as a reference by other website.

Basicly:

  (Wikipedia_rank - googleantispam) < random_mirror_rank

cheers,

--
Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hashar