[Foundation-l] Re: Short Domain Name

Ashar Voultoiz hashar at altern.org
Mon Dec 6 07:11:50 UTC 2004

Hunter Peress wrote:
> A generic (eg non country-specific) top level domain that is short
> (on the order of 2 - 3) letters would be ideal. sourceforge.net has
> sf.net
>
> The two most ideal domains are wp.net and wp.org
>
> whois says that wp.org is owned by telepathy.com, a us based internet
>  focused group that does not seem to be greedy.
>
> A well placed email by a wikipedia official asking for release would
> be a good thing.
>
> Please keep the list aprised of your activity regarding short domain
> name search

Hello,

The problem is that even if we got wp.org we will want to get other wp
entries in info. fr. uk.  ... That will just double the cost of domain
registration.

We should just stick with wikipedia.org. , don't let registrars make
more money than what is really needed.

cheers,

--
Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++