[Foundation-l] Wikinews Licensing

Mathias Schindler neubau at presroi.de
Fri Dec 3 16:27:16 UTC 2004

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:

> I agree, but I hope you'll participate on a short-term basis with it
> being PD, since the purpose of being PD right now is just to enable us
> to have some time to really think through the licensing issues more
> carefully.

I'll participate in a wiki that is still evaluating the 'right' license.
     And I don't expect wikinews to become a souce of steal-worthy
content in that evaluation time so PD does not hurt in that time.

However, I urge you all not to postpone this decision into a distant
future. The License issue has been 'in the air' for years, so there is
no need to start from the beginning. We seem to have all the facts which
enable us to an informed decision.

I only see GFDL or CC as a possible candidate so a dual-licensing would
not block future decisions as well. But these are details which can be
all discussed.

And maybe someone is able to convince me to use PD, nobody knows :)

Mathias