[Foundation-l] sep11.wikipedia.org

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sun Dec 5 03:20:00 UTC 2004

sep11.wikipedia.org is a spam magnet, and not really an appropriate
project of its own:
* not educational: outside our mission
* not a community: scope too narrow
* not verifiable
* no NPOV
* improperly located: sep11.wikipedia.org suggests association with
Wikipedia - it even uses a Wikipedia logo

We're apparently so embarrassed by it that we hide it from most of our
"Sister Projects" lists.

Well, I won't be too negative - there are some valuable memories there
that deserve to be preserved, and volunteers have kept it in presentable
shape.

So here's my offer:

With Board authorization, I would go over these pages, and transform them
into a static website. This could be located at some URL which has yet to
be decided, maybe 911memories.org or something like that. I would prefer a
location that is not directly associated with Wikimedia, though it could
be labeled a Wikimedia publication.

Wikipeople has been brought up as a potential assimilation project, but
that strikes me as too vague, and there's no real thrust behind it, and
I'm not sure Wikipeople is a good idea in the first place, so the static
version seems like the best way forward for now. We would of course
preserve and make available the wiki database in case we ever want to
integrate it into something else.

Another option would be to host it at Jimbo's free wiki hosting service,
Wikicities.com. That would disassociate it from Wikimedia while still
allowing interested people to work on it.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Erik