[Foundation-l] Wikinews Licensing

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Fri Dec 3 00:47:22 UTC 2004

I'm not active in Wikinews and I don't know whether I'll ever join --
but anyway, here are my 2 eurocents as regards the licensing issue:

(1)
While WP compatibility might seem like a real important and convenient
thing, IMHO coming to that conclusion is fallacious (as in [[logical
fallacy]]):
- WP compatibility is pretty much only needed if people want to
DUPLICATE (ie. not rewrite) content from the WP.
- Wikinews was was expressly advertised as a project that would NOT
simply duplicate WP content.
Thus, I believe the "requirement" for WP license compatibility is much
less than one might think.

(2)
I would ''strongly'' argue for a public domain "license". As they say:
Yesterday's news is used to wrap fish tomorrow. For a news site like
Wikinews, the biggest asset will likely turn out to be an active,
striving contributor community. Yes, a PD "license" would dramatically
lessen Wikinews' control over content reuse, but any static copies will
quickly become outdated and only serve as far as their archive value
goes (real obnoxious automated content grabbing sited could be
blocked). Users will thus figure out pretty quickly that the real McCoy
is at wikinews.org. So little is lost by going PD and PD is what news
should be. Any writing "for posteriority" (where you might have bigger
concerns over content reuse) probably belongs at wikipedia.org anyway.

-- ropers [[en:User:Ropers]]
     www.ropersonline.com