[Foundation-l] Developer poll results

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed Aug 25 18:12:00 UTC 2004

Anthere-

thanks for taking the time to poll the developers and summarize their
opinions. It looks like it was a lot of work.

I think almost all of us agree that a developer conference/meetup would be
a good idea. It could be expensive but also quite efficient. It has been
suggested, for example, to have a meetup at the CCC Chaos Communication
Congress (21C3) in Berlin this year:
http://www.ccc.de/congress/2004/

It seems to me that it would be a good idea to make this a general
conference for developers working on wiki technologies, as this is a quite
large and growing field with a huge need for standardization, but we as
Wikimedia would of course only reimburse developers working on MediaWiki.
I've created a short stub that can be developed further by interested
parties:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiDevCon

The developers of TikiWiki (a popular wiki engine) meet regularly in so-
called TikiFests already:
http://tikiwiki.org/tiki-index.php?page=TikiFest

Maybe we can coordinate with them and other makers of wiki engines.
There's a general #wiki channel on irc.freenode.net where developers
working on different engines hang out.

> Second, money in exchange of tasks. This would be
> money directly paid by the Foundation to thank some
> developers for their work.
> The board is willing to give it a try.

I presume that means you, Angela and Jimbo agree. Have you also talked to
Michael and Tim? Are they involved in these meetings?

What amount of money do you anticipate can be allocated for this trial
period, if we proceed further on this?

I would suggest a setup wherein a team (committee) of two or three people
within Wikimedia who
a) do *not* want to be reimbursed for development work
b) have a solid technical understanding
decide upon tasks which they consider to be of high priority to the
foundation. Developers can *propose* tasks to this team through a defined
process (e.g. mailing list or board).

I would then suggest that the current page "Development tasks" on Meta
(which is presently somewhat redundant with the roadmap) be turned into an
official Wikimedia page, where only the aforementioned team can put up
tasks, and any developer can then state:
- when they can start working on the task
- how long they believe they will need to finish the task
- under which conditions (for free/contract/etc.) they would be willing to
complete the task.

The committee could immediately *decline* certain offers, but they would
have to wait at least about 7 days before accepting an offer for any
particular task, so that all developers have a chance to volunteer.

Money is paid depending on the conditions which the developers and the
committee agree on. Validation may in some cases occur in stages, but
again, this depends on the individual committee/developer relationship.

Is this general process agreeable to you?

Regards,

Erik