[Foundation-l] Re: Copyright issues...walking on thin ice

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Tue Aug 17 00:31:26 UTC 2004

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:

>With images, the separate authorship and the independence of the work
>is transparently obvious.  The text is not derived from the image, nor
>is the image derived from the text.  No one modifies GNU FDL text and
>turns it into an image, or vice-versa.  (Barring hypothetical edge
>cases that are beyond the scope of this discussion.)

I don't think the edge cases are that infrequent, but IANAL of course.
For example, if I were to have a collection of GFDL'd pictures of
flowers, and you took that collection of flowers and used them to
publish an illustrated book of flowers, I would consider your book,
including its textual content, a derived work of my collection of images.

-Mark