[Foundation-l] Re: Copyright issues...walking on thin ice

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Aug 12 00:38:38 UTC 2004

Michael Snow wrote:

> But online content is not that big of an issue really, because anyone
> who says we're infringing on their copyright has to give us a takedown
> notice first, and we can remove the offending image. The real problem
> is print. And once you get to print, I have a _very_ hard time buying
> any argument that the image which illustrates an article is somehow a
> separate and independent work from the article text. The one kind of
> print version for which I might entertain this argument is if the
> images are segregated as is done in many books, on separate glossier
> facing pages or in a batch of illustrations in the middle of the book.
> But in the routine print version, where the image is printed out on
> the same page as the article, they look like part of one document and
> I don't see how you can make much of a case that they're not.

We have too little detail on the printing and publication plans for the
print edition.  The danger with an edition that infringes copyright
revolves around injunctive measures that would prevent its
distribution.  By limiting press runs to what can be distributed in one
month that would limit those damages.  In going from version 1.0 to
version 1.1 it would be easier to adjust  for any copyright complaint
that might have been received.

Ec