[Foundation-l] Re: Wikipedia-Freenode relations

Sj 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 21:45:50 UTC 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:35:32 +0100, sannse <sannse at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> That identifies you as the same person each time on IRC, but it doesn't
> identify you as the same person as whoever is using that nick on Wikipedia.
>
> If someone registers "timwi" before you do on IRC they could pretend to be
> the Wikipedia Timwi - and there is no way to tell differently.  Cloaks have
> only been given out to people who have confirmed their nick on Wikpedia.
>
> Like Jimbo - I like the security of knowing that I can be seen to be the
> same "sannse" on IRC and Wikipedia.
>
> --sannse

I agree with sannse here -- I like being able to map someone I talk to on
IRC, via the IRCnick--to--WPusername linkage provided by cloaking.  Then even
when someone is fooling around and switching names back and forth, you
can have a private conversation with them and ask them to switch to their
cloaked nick.

+sj+