[Foundation-l] Re: Copyright issues...walking on thin ice

Angela_ beesley at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 13:55:27 UTC 2004

>> The legal risk lies with the user who uploaded it

I was basing this on the statement made in the Submission standards,
previously linked to from our terms of use.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Wikipedia:Submission_Standards&oldid=2470321#Your_indemnification_of_Wikipedia.

"Your indemnification of Wikipedia

In all cases if you submit anything you are responsible for the
submission, not Wikipedia. Should there be any legal consequences you
specifically agree that you indemnify and hold harmless Wikipedia,
Wikimedia Foundation Inc., Bomis Inc. their officers, directors or
agents, and the other volunteers of Wikipedia. Such indemnification
includes costs and reasonable attorneys fees; you indemnify these
entities and individuals from any claims, suits, causes of action in
law or equity, judgments, levies, fines, whatsoever from the time of
your first contribution to Wikipedia or any other Wikimedia project.
Any individual making a submission to Wikipedia will not benefit from
this indemnification vis-à-vis other contributors if their submissions
are in violation of these standards."

Angela.