[Foundation-l] Re: Registering Wikimedia trademarks

Rich Holton rich_holton at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 22:50:44 UTC 2004

--- Toby Bartels <toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu> wrote
(in part):

> Now if we really want to spark controversy: Add a
> little "TM" to our logo! ^_^

Is there any reason why we should not add such a TM,
if not to the logo, then to some other prominent
location? I have suggested that we add it to the
"Fromwikipedia" MediaWiki namespace message. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Fromwikipedia

Even though (if? -IANIAWESCTAL) this is not required
to claim the Trademark, it seems it would help to send
a clear message to anyone who might otherwise
misunderstand.

I, at least, do not find the little "TM" to be
distracting, especially since once I became a little
familiar with Wikipedia, I stopped noticing that
message altogether. I expect that others do the same.

One benefit of using the TM on the *word* Wikipedia,
as opposed to the Logo: It seems that one might
mistake a TM on the logo to refer only to the logo.
Attaching it to a simple printed word leaves no doubt.

And, of course, changing the MediaWiki message is
quick and easy (for someone who's a sysop).

-Rich Holton

** IANIAWESCTAL = I Am Not In Any Way Even Something
Close To A Lawyer **