[Commons-l] proposed policy - Commons:Trademarks

Henning Schlottmann h.schlottmann at gmx.net
Fri Sep 8 19:35:50 UTC 2006

Alison Wheeler wrote:
> On Wed, September 6, 2006 16:07, Platonides wrote:

> > If it's PD on the trademark registration country, it should be ok, but
> > *who decides the ineligibility?*
>
> The way this thread is starting to read I'm almost wondering if we're
> heading towards the conclusion that 'one size will never fit all' as each
> country / jurisdiction will operate different restrictions for the same
> material and for us to define something as 'commons' usuable worldwide
> will be close to impossible.

I suggested elsewhere the following idea of a golden rule for commons:
If an image is free in the US (physical place of the servers) and the
coutry of origin, it should be accepted.  We should not care for the
laws in saudi arabia or japan if the image is in no connection to those
countries.

Ciao Henning [H-stt]