[Commons-l] PD-UN template

Fredrik Josefsson fred_chessplayer at yahoo.se
Mon Oct 23 18:04:43 UTC 2006

On behalf of a user who asked a question on Commons:

Question about [[s:en:Template:PD-UN]]
<http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/en:Template:PD-UN> and
its Chinese and French versions hereto. When
Wikisource was a multilingual site accepting all
languages, it had so many UN Security Council
resolutions posted by various users unaware of UN
copyright. As the UN Headquarters is subject to the
same USA laws, works published there are copyrighted
in the same way as works published in the USA.

Works published in the USA between 1978 and 1 March
1989 without copyright notices and without subsequent
copyright registrations are in the public domain in
the USA, but should subsequent copyright registrations
be validly made, the works become copyrighted. I would
like to ask if these works are acceptable here. This
is critical as most, if not all, images at
[[:Category:Stamps of United Nations]] may be indeed
copyrighted.

----

I thought I ask at the mailinglist, see if anyone can
provide an answer...

/ Fred-Chess