[Commons-l] And in other news...

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 16:37:48 UTC 2006

On 10/17/06, David Monniaux <David.Monniaux at free.fr> wrote:
> And a few stats:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Commons_stats_October_2006.svg
>
> We are probably the world's largest site for free wallpapers: the median
> of the distribution looks like it's 800 kpixels, which is 1024x768.

I'm not so sure, looking at our top aspect ratios:
 Images Ratio
 201436 1.33
  61803 0.75
  40633 1.00
  37839 1.50
  20991 0.66
  14287 0.62
  12942 1.60
  10734 1.25
  10552 1.49
  10352 0.80
  ~~~~~~~~

I'd be shocked if flickr didn't completely dwarf us in terms of images
with 4:3 and 5:4 aspect.

Since most cameras produce either 4:3 or 3:2, it would be interesting
to answer the question: Are Wikimedians cropping all these images, or
are we just pulling lots of images from outside websites where they
are cropped to fit the layout?