[Commons-l] Dream a little...

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Oct 16 13:25:52 UTC 2006

> Making copyright reasonably shorter would only make the preservation
> of old works even harder by removing the incentive to preserve old
> works

I strongly disagree. Projects like Gutenberg, DP, the various digital
libraries at universities, etc. have proven that once you remove the
barriers of traditional copyright, the amount of work that can be done
to preserve content is multiplied. Furthermore, economic analysis has
shown that the vast majority of content that is "trapped" by copyright
actually has hardly any economic value anymore (check the Amicus
Curiae briefs in the Eldred case). Market forces alone tend to be poor
guardians of history.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.