[Commons-l] Dream a little...

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Oct 15 23:30:34 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> How sustainable do you see this sort of funding being?

For the purposes of this exercise, assume it is sustainable.  (And help
me think of models which might make it sustainable?)

> I think that if we're going to consider the big impact ideas... it's
> not a much a question of finding the ideas, because a couple of them
> should be pretty obvious to all of us ("Hey, lets buy a small but well
> established US textbook company, open up their books, enhance them
> through collaborative development, and take english speaking schools
> by storm while we use the income to translate the work and replicate
> it world wide")... The real challenge for those is figuring out "How
> much?" and all the other logistics.

Right.  At the moment, we are assigned the task of dreaming up creative
ideas of what we would find useful.  The next steps would be to think
about how much what we want would cost, and how there could be a
sustainable model of getting it.

--Jimbo