[Commons-l] Dream a little...

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 20:30:01 UTC 2006

On 10/15/06, W. Guy Finley <wgfinley at dynascope.com> wrote:
> Go to apimages.com and you will see a few hundred images we can't
> produce.

I'm seeing maybe 1.

> They are timeless and unique just like the two photos I
> worked with them to get permissions on -- Raising the Flag on Iwo
> Jima and Trang Bang.

however not permission for reuse.

> Same thing with CORBIS, go to their website, type in a name and start
> watching all the photos that come up.  Could we get some of these as
> press publicity photos?  Probably, asserting fair use.  How about
> having an agreement in place with CORBIS about our use of them so
> there is never a question about the legitimacy of the use of an image?

Again this brings up reuse issues.

> We should never stop looking for the free sources of images that we
> can obtain.  But there are a whole slew of historical photographs
> owned by these media houses we do not have access to and that's what
> I was getting at.  I know, because I've deleted them before.  The
> press is everywhere and over decades has acquired scores of important
> images, I'd like to use them, LEGALLY while protecting the rights of
> their creators.  A big pile of money would help us do that.

Problem is those are exactly the images they will not want to see
released under a free licence. I agree that targeting individual items
is the logical course

While purchase of large amounts of material might be nice I think we
could get better value by having a "fighting fund" which is used to
obtain images that cannot be obtained through any other means rather
than bulk buying which is likely to result in a lot of duplicating
material we can get in other ways.

--
geni