[Commons-l] Ogg Theora is too hard to play. WeneedYouTube-styleFlash streaming video.

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 21:11:39 UTC 2006

"Gregory Maxwell" <gmaxwell at gmail.com>
escribió en el mensaje
news:e692861c0610011437ydb0f8f1yd39e62e79a988fdc at mail.gmail.com...
> On 10/1/06, Platonides
> <Platonides at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So at last it is here? Congratulations!
>>
>> However...
>> *It doesn't work for me (start & stop buttons do nothing).
>> *I can't find how the applet gets the file to play. I guess the above
>> problem has to do with the applet may need to get passed the file
>> location
>> on jorbis.player.play.0 instead of
>> http://tools.wikimedia.de/media/wikipedia//d/d4/
>
> That is the file location: Unsigned java applets can only build
> connections to the server which sourced them, so toolserver runs a
> proxy which makes all the media available under that directory.
>
> What is the file you are attempting to play?  I've had a few cases
> where bizarre characters were breaking the MD5 generation.. although I
> believe most of them have been solved.

I get that *exactly location* no file appended to it.
I went to http://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hình:SCA_approach.ogg as per Minh
Nguyen mail,
there i followed teh link so i arrived to
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?play=http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Filepath/SCA_approach.ogg

Page source is:
<applet code="JOrbisPlayer.class"
        codebase="http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/"
        archive="JOrbisPlayer.jar"
        width="600" height="35" align="baseline">
        <PARAM NAME="jorbis.player.play.0"
VALUE="http://tools.wikimedia.de/media/wikipedia//d/d4/">
        <PARAM NAME="jorbis.player.icestats" VALUE="no">
        <PARAM NAME="jorbis.player.playonstartup" VALUE="yes">
</applet>Then i tried url
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?play=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Monteverdi_-_non_si_levav%27ancor.ogg(the
day's featured multimedia)Page source has:<applet code="JOrbisPlayer.class"
        codebase="http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/"
        archive="JOrbisPlayer.jar"
        width="600" height="35" align="baseline">
        <PARAM NAME="jorbis.player.play.0"
VALUE="http://tools.wikimedia.de/media/wikipedia//d/d4/">
        <PARAM NAME="jorbis.player.icestats" VALUE="no">
        <PARAM NAME="jorbis.player.playonstartup" VALUE="yes">
</applet>...and no
soundhttp://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?play=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fb%2Fb5%2FMonteverdi_-_non_si_levav%2527ancor.oggproduces
equal output and silence.If i call simply the .php
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.phpit is<applet
code="JOrbisPlayer.class"
        codebase="http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/"
        archive="JOrbisPlayer.jar"
        width="600" height="35" align="baseline">
        <PARAM NAME="jorbis.player.play.0"
VALUE="http://tools.wikimedia.de/media/wikipedia//d/d4/">
        <PARAM NAME="jorbis.player.icestats" VALUE="no">
        <PARAM NAME="jorbis.player.playonstartup" VALUE="yes">
</applet>i.e. the ?play= parameter is being clearly ignored. I tried to
check if it was indeed the correct parameter, but as i said, there's no doc
reference to it.There isn't any a text on the java console.It is not a Java
problem as on the jcraft page the same works after two warnings:
'Application will run without usual security restrictions' and 'certificate
has expired'.

http://www.jcraft.com/jorbis/player/JOrbisPlayer.php?play=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fb%2Fb5%2FMonteverdi_-_non_si_levav%2527ancor.ogg
works fine (not
www.jcraft.com/jorbis/player/JOrbisPlayer.php?play=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Monteverdi_-_non_si_levav%27ancor.ogg
 )

> The single most common cause of failure to play is that around 20% of
> the users whom have Java have a version of java which is so old that
> it doesn't have JavaSound ....
As jcraft works, it's not it. I'm not using msjvm neither.

(......)
> Hm. I missed that the media page is a redirect, but it makes no
> difference... Please read rather than skim: "f you are unable to use
> this player you will need to install a program to play Ogg format
> audio. Please see the Wikipedia directions at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_help"
>
> I.e. if this doesn't work for you, you'll have to install a local
> player.   I don't think it would be wise of us to instruct people on
> how to install a newer version of Java for three reasons:

Well, it's a better aproach, but there's nowhere saying "You can point users
to this, it works like that". I was expecting docs about the java, not about
how
to install an ogg player. Seems i misunderstood.
I find references to "continually improved", "if it doesn't work try in a
few days" a
bit frustrating. But hell, this may be me ;-)

> In any case, the player has been used successfully by tens of
> thousands of people. I'm aware of no standing cases where it does not
> work so long as you meet the basic requirement of a new enough java
> implimentation.
How did they do? :-)

I am using Versión 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_06-b05) by Sun.

Setting the console output to 5 (all) it seems the error may came because
your
applet is unsigned and thus JavaSound is directly denied?

I paste you the output (spanish output):

basic: Modalidad de receptor registrada
basic: Referencia a cargador de clases: sun.plugin.ClassLoaderInfo at 1dfafd1,
contador de referencia=1
basic: Receptor de progreso agregado: sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter at 998b08
basic: Cargando miniaplicación...
basic: Inicializando miniaplicación...
basic: Iniciando miniaplicación...
network: Conectando
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.jar con proxy=DIRECT
basic: Carga de http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.jar
desde la antememoria
basic: No certificate info, this is unsigned JAR file.

I was waiting to catch you on irc, easier to explain and feedback, instead
of filling a long bug on the ml,
but well... here you have it.

PS: I was going to propose filling a bug into hemlock's bugzilla but it
seems it disappeared / is unreachable.