[Commons-l] Ogg Theora is too hard to play. We need YouTube-style Flash streaming video.

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 16:34:01 UTC 2006

On 9/29/06, Artur Fijałkowski <wiki.warx at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that the right way is to teach people how use free tools and
> force them to use it, then force everybody to use properiaty software,
> couse it's easier for windows users...

While I'm sure you have the best of intentions, when given the option
between "not using free tools" and "being forced to use it" most
people will opt for the former. Enforcing a de-facto "only computer
geeks are welcome" sort of rule is not going to really help the
long-term interest of our projects.

I really love MediaWiki's support of SVG -- you can upload and
download an open format, but it always renders it to be viewed in any
old browser. I think we should take this as something of a model --
the goal should be to combine maximum usability with maximum freedom,
and as has been pointed out these are not and should not be
incompatible. We shouldn't have to "force anyone" to learn anything to
use our resources, if freedom is really a goal.

FF