[Commons-l] SVG chessboard transparency

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 08:59:21 UTC 2006

On 11/27/06, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> The servers appear to be configured to render transparency in SVG
> using a chessboard pattern:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:LithuanianHistory.svg
>
> Is that actually desired by anyone? It seems more useful for debugging
> purposes than for actually using images.

AFAIK it's only on the image page... it can be very useful there: for
example, the large amount transparency in the file you linked is
probably a bad idea, but without the checkerboard you couldn't see it.

I think we need to have a function to display transparency. I have no
opinion on if that the image page should be overloaded to perform that
function.