[Commons-l] Getting rid of "best before"

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 11:34:35 UTC 2006

On 15/11/06, Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Theoretically, one could write a bot which could do the deletions, so
> no admins get scolded. The idea of a deletion-bot with admin rights (a
> virtual equivalent of [2];-) might sound scary, but setting it for "no
> edits for a month since addition of the template", combined with the
> image resurrection capability, should calm this.

I think the thing holding up deletion rates is the need to delink
images. So we have the proposed CommonsDelinker but I'm not sure what
its status is at the moment. I think it's almost ready to go (if the
will is there). Orgullomoore is a pretty busy chap I think, but it
would be good to have a few people trained in its use, because it is
that important to Commons that we wouldn't want it to stop working if
one person gets busy.

If/when CommonsDelinker is introduced, I predict the backlogs will
dissipate pretty rapidly, probably a month or so.

I personally would not throw my weight behind a bot with deletion
rights, but maybe community will is changing. I don't think it's
changed that rapidly, though.

cheers,
Brianna
user:pfctdayelise