[Commons-l] Uploading files beyond the size limit

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 14 20:31:49 UTC 2006

> On 14/11/06, Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > I once wrote a function for the upload page where you upload a file by
> > giving its URL. There were some security concerns about malicious
> > servers, which I think I fixed, but then, as usual, nothing happened.
> > Should still be in there, for anyone interested. Lemme see... ah yes;
> > set $wgAllowCopyUploads=true in LocalSettings, and be done with it.
>

> I shudder at the thought of this being enabled on Commons unless such
> uploads are somehow marked for particular urgent attention - it sounds
> like an even easier way to upload copyright violations. If such
> uploads are marked and auto-categorised, it might be manageable.

When I was working on this, it was suggested that it should
automatically add the source URL to the image description (unless it
is already given in there). It could also add "[[category:URL
uploads]]" or the like.
With the source URL given, it would actually be *easier* to find
copyvios, as one knows exactly where it came from, unlike the current
system.

> (After all my whining on this list, I'm going to have to start looking
> for and tagging Commons copyvios myself and then applying for admin

Good luck with that. Myself, I'll stay with my tools and programming
languages - they're much easier to decipher than copyright law ;-)

Magnus