[Commons-l] Commons != kindergarden

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 18:48:22 UTC 2006

On 11/12/06, Lennert Böhm <lennert.boehm at gmx.de> wrote:
> But isn't Commons supposed to be the repository of images of all the
> Wikis, so that at some point in the future, all files will (are supposed
> to) be uploaded to Commons? Finally there's a Wikipedia that does that and
> you are trying to make them regret their decision?
> I don't believe this to be a good way of action.

And perhaps the Eswiki decision has showed us an error in our thinking.

It is true that just blanket banning is the wrong course of action,
but it does seem clear that we have problems.. Our Spanish speaking
volunteers are not as great in number as what eswiki has and we can
never expect that to change.

Perhaps we should say that commons is the repository that experienced
wikimedians should use... After all, it's easy enough to move content
between Wikis.

I think that even without the language barriers it would be important
that commons content is a higher quality than the basic uploads on the
Wikis. It seems clear to me that many of commons quality problems are
caused by ignorance on the part of the uploaders.

Not asking newbies to upload here may be a good start.