[Commons-l] FW: Commons != kindergarden

Barcex lv.cabc at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 17:56:48 UTC 2006

2006/11/12, Artur Fijałkowski <wiki.warx at gmail.com>:

> Do not send people directly on commons - prepare a manual with most
> important informations in Spanish language, that everybody should know
> and write, that if you understand that, you can go to commons (and
> link to commons at this moment, not earlier).

  Actually, users who select the "upload file" menu item are sent to

   http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Upload?uselang=es

  That page explains that a free license is required and gives links to
several guidelines (in Spanish) . It also says that if in doubt the user
should ask in the Spanish Wikipedia village pump.

   Before the upload there is a red text saying: "Si no indicas una licencia
e información de origen adecuadas, tu fichero será *borrado sin aviso previo
*. Gracias por tu comprensión."

  Translated it looks something like: "If you dont add the proper source and
license data your file will be deleted without notification."

  I agree that educating better to the users could help, but it will never
stop the problem, because people just don't care, they just want to upload
an image, and they do not care about licensing, and I'm not very optimistic
in that sense. Most of them are new users. The problem is seen on the
Spanish Wikipedia users just because it is a very active Wikipedia (the
second in number of accesses according Alexa) which does not allow local
uploads. As soon as you close uploads on other Wikipedias, you will have the
same problem with them.

Barcex