[Commons-l] Commons != kindergarden

Łukasz Garczewski tor at oak.pl
Sun Nov 12 16:17:17 UTC 2006

Lennert Böhm napisał(a):
> But isn't Commons supposed to be the repository of images of all the
> Wikis, so that at some point in the future, all files will (are supposed
> to) be uploaded to Commons? Finally there's a Wikipedia that does that and
> you are trying to make them regret their decision?
> I don't believe this to be a good way of action.

Me either.

However, Artur has a poin there, or rather - he has hinted at a very
serious problem we're facing right now.

On one hand using Commons should be easy and fun (it's still a wiki,
right?). On thee other, however, if we make it to easy we may not be
able to cope with the amount of copyvios.

I am 100% for moving all uploads to Commons, but I believe we have to
have a procedure for that. I.e. some things should be done well *before*
local uploads are disabled on a given wiki.

Some of those might include:
* translating most of the interface
* translating key project and help pages (the commons community should
complie a list of those)
* translating key templates
* having at least N active Commons admins speaking the language of the
wiki in question at level 2 or higher (where N is... well... I don't
know, you tell me ;))

I'm not sure if that's all. Any other ideas?

The main idea is: yes, let's do this. But let's do it one step at a
time, based on a common process.

--
TOR