[Commons-l] Principles of organisation - who do we serve?

Matthias MailstoMatze at gmx.de
Fri Nov 10 23:39:55 UTC 2006

Platonides wrote:
> I guess the problem of email notification could be a lot of emails being
> sent.

There are actually not that many messages to be sent: Yesterday there
were 246 changes on user talk pages. Some of them were edited several
times, some were edited by the users themselves. So it might be about
150 messages - a surprisingly low number, I think.
> But email notification wouldn't be necessary. When the Single User Login
> gets implemented, it'd be easy to have a second "You have new messages"
> text.

But compared to single user login (SUL), email notification is ready to
use (according to Enotif on meta). Who knows when SUL is going to be
implemented? Until then it is useful to reach users of other Wikipedias
that only come to commons only to upload an image every once in a while.

Cheers
Matthias

user:matt314