[Commons-l] Principles of organisation - who do we serve?

Florian Straub flominator at gmx.net
Fri Nov 10 15:09:53 UTC 2006

"bawolff" <bawolff+wn at gmail.com> wrote on Friday, November 10, 2006 7:49 AM:

> [...] They get a
> deletion notice on their commons talk page - which is quite useless,
> as they're not coming back there for at least a year,  if they ever
> come back. However if a message was left at their home wiki, the image
> would be saved.  However its totally unrealistic for CM's to track
> them down against everything listed at [[special:sitematrix]]. perhaps
> a bot is needed or something like that, but I think it would go a long
> way to having more contributors trust commons.

We at de.wp started emailing "our nld-uploaders" with A FEW basic links and
the opportunity to solve the problem via e-mail. Any useful emails are
forwared to the OTRS after improving the image description.

The result: Some people change the descriptions of the pictures by
themselves and some do it via email. The best reply ratio is found when we
mention that the image was requested for deletion.

Maybe this can be optimized by using a bot (as long as the emails are not
caught in every spam blocker).

Of course this can only work, if they either specify there home-wiki or
their email adress. Maybe we can force them someone to do at least one of
these things when they register ...

Best regards,

Flo