[Commons-l] Principles of organisation - who do we serve?

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Fri Nov 10 12:42:16 UTC 2006

On 11/10/06, bawolff <bawolff+wn at gmail.com> wrote:
> They get a
> deletion notice on their commons talk page - which is quite useless,
> as they're not coming back there for at least a year,  if they ever
> come back. However if a message was left at their home wiki, the image
> would be saved.  However its totally unrealistic for CM's to track
> them down against everything listed at [[special:sitematrix]]. perhaps
> a bot is needed or something like that, but I think it would go a long
> way to having more contributors trust commons.

Turning on email notification when you get a message on your talk page
would be a good solution in the mean time.  In fact, for some people
(like myself) who don't check their Wikipedia talk page that much
either, it might even be a better solution.

I believe this email notification has already been coded up.  What
would be the problems with turning it on?  Can someone be specific
here and answer exactly why it hasn't been turned on?  How many
additional servers would be needed to support it?

It seems like a big enough problem that it's worth solving.

Anthony