[Wiktionary-l] Export Dictionary?

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Sun May 15 15:31:08 UTC 2005

I have been on this list awhile, when i originally joined i was
interesting in the possibility of exporting the wiktionary data as
.dict format. Now that the newest version of OSX 10.4 has a built-in
dictionary that uses the dict:// to look-up words i was interested to
see if anyone on the technicaly side would like to explore the
possibility of either exporting the Wiktionary database as .dict
format, or run a dictionary daemon that would access the wiktionary
database server and return dict entries. It would be read-only, but it
would be another interesting way to access the wiktionary besides the
web interface.

Does anyone on the tech list know if this is even possible? I'm not
asking you to do it (i can write the export), i was wondering if there
is some sort of database schema available to extract the data into
dict format, or are the entries too fragmented to even attempt an
export?

-brian

--
brian suda