[Wiktionary-l] (no subject)

cookfire cookfire at softhome.net
Mon May 30 16:03:57 UTC 2005

rb_wiktionary at boult.mailshell.com wrote:

> involvement on the technical side of things. I do find it a chore to
> insert
> a picture or a table, but I figure it out when I have to. When templates
> appear in an article that I am editing, I need to make extra effort
> just to
> track where some of them come from or what they mean. If I, as a
> person who
> has been here for over three years, am having trouble with this, it
> must be
> worse for a non-technical person who just wants to indulge his love of
> words.
>

> I too am alarmed at the proposal, as much as I have seen it. I am
> technical(well, used to be) 28 years in the computer industry, starting at
> the most technical levels of system programming, but over the years
> migrating to the role of helping general business users get the best
> out of
> systems, as business analyst, system designer, project manager.
>

> One thing I learned was - never let a technician design a system. It
> will be
> great for the technician's personal uses, but a huge chance it will be
> useless to the general users.
>

> Like Ec I find even the present level of codification annoyingly
> complicated. Requiring any significant level of codification from general
> users would just knock out 99%of the population form being contributors,
> asituation we cannot go towards.
>

> >From what little I have learned so far of this idea, including the
> complete
> lack of communication with the user community, the idea of introducing
> a new
> more technical Ultimate Wiktionary sounds like a disaster waiting to
> happen.
>

> Richardb

Hi Richard,

GerardM is not exactly a technical user, or he would be implementing it
all by himself. The idea of the UW, as he likes to call it, is to take
away the need to know anything technical. OK, the markup as it is in
Wikipedia can stay, of course. But it won't be necessary anymore to know
which headings should be used. The UI should propose that, in the
language of the user. It is then stored in the DB with a tag to indicate
the language it was written in.

Polyglot