[Wikitech-l] Re: MediaWiki OpenID patch

Dan Libby danda at videntity.org
Fri Oct 7 00:52:04 UTC 2005

Ashar Voultoiz wrote:
> Dan Libby wrote:
>
>>Hi all, I've created a patch for OpenID login to MediaWiki. ( 1.4.10 )
>>
>>Details here:
>>http://wiki.www.videntity.org/wiki/MediaWiki_OpenID_Patch
>

> Can you port it on 1.5.0 and eventually try to get a patch for HEAD ? It
> would be interesting to get openid support for 1.6 (or later).

Yes, I can do that.

It should be noted though that this patch may not the best way to do
things long term.

A couple things:

1) this patch piggy-backs on top of SpecialUserlogin.  So if a username
contains "://" or '." then the OpenID code kicks in.  This does not
provide any sort of possibility for other login types, eg LID.  Also it
would break any pre-existing logins with those strings in them.

2) MediaWiki insists on upper-casing all titles, including usernames.  I
worked around that for actually storing the username, but it still
happens for display,which looks kinda nasty for eg:
"Http://danda.videntity.org/".    I'm not sure how to get around that as
the title normalization stuff is a bit, umm, inscrutable.

I'm wondering if someone on the core team could perform a code review of
the patch and either:

a) give it a tentative blessing, with some pointers for ways to deal
with the above issues.

b) reject it as "the wrong way" to do things.

If it has a tentative blessing, then I'm more inclined to port it to
1.5.0 and do whatever is necessary to make it "right".

I figure that even if it is the wrong way, at least it works now for my
wiki and anyone else who want to use it, and may prove useful as sample
code for someone to do it "the right way", whatever that might be.

regards,

Dan Libby