[Wikitech-l] Re: [Announce] <graph> plugin

Tels nospam-abuse at bloodgate.com
Thu Jan 13 19:23:53 UTC 2005

Moin,

On Thursday 13 January 2005 19:43, Jakob Voss wrote:
> Tels wrote:
> > having written a <graph>-plugin for Mediawiki, I would like to
> > announce it here.
> >
> > It takes textual graph descriptions between <graph></graph> like
> > this:

> > However, before I wander off over the proverbial big cliff, I'd
> > rather get some corrections. Read: please tell me what you think
> > about it, whether this is going to be usefull/work/bring world-peace
> > etc.
>
> Thanks a lot for your efford but *please* do not try to invent another
> language. GraphViz's dot-language is a powerful standard for graphs
> almost like TeX is a standard for formulars.

> > My main interest in this area lies in _easily_ documentating network
> > plans, flow charts, schematics and other things in that area. IMHO
> > having such a feature in a wiki would be very usefull.
>
> Then please call it <easygraph> or something like this. I'd better like
> a plugin for all kind of graphs and GraphViz is obviously the best one.

I have to disagree.

First, I didn't know that there is a graphviz plugin (or anyother
extension, I overlooked extension), and if there is a name-clash, I will
rename my plugin.

Second:

Even knowing the graphviz plugin, I would redo the work I did for several
reasons:

* output: I don't like these types of graph-images. Beside that I like
ASCII/HTML output over PNG etc, IMHO the output of graphviz looks ugly.
* I find the graphviz language too complicated in the same sense that HTML
is too complicated over the normal wiki language. Compare  the example
from http://www.wickle.com/wikis/index.php/Graphviz_extension with one of
my more complicated examples, I think my formatting is visual more
distinct. (Of course, both languages should be "equivalent", e.g. it
should be possible to write a converter - which means the language the
graph is written in will be irrelevant)

Anyway, thanx for your input,

Tels

- --
 Signed on Thu Jan 13 20:11:45 2005 with key 0x93B84C15.

 "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged
 demo."  -- Andy Finkel, computer guy